Saturday, March 27, 2010

Austin's poor finger...

Yesterday was the day from hell, so to speak. I got done shaving the dogs down and I wanted to change my clothes so I could go out and buy the stuff I needed for making Mozzarella. Well, I had left Jordan, Rowan and Austin on the first floor, so I could run up real fast and get changed. I'm in the middle of getting changed, and I hear Austin start screaming! Then I hear Jordan yelling at Rowan calling him bad. So Jordan comes up to get me (I was making my way down the stairs anyway, I figured that Rowan just smacked Austin, no biggie) Well, I get down stairs, and there is Austin on all fours with his pinky finger IN THE HINGE PART OF THE DOOR. Ugh, then I noticed that the door was fully closed. Now you know there is no give on that part of the door, so I opened it and was praying that his finger tip was not cut off. Well, his poor finger looked like a deflated latex balloon. Completely flat and shaped like a bendy straw. (Now, I have a really strong stomach, but this I could not handle and started gagging...) So now I'm shaking like a leaf, I call Bill and tell him I HAVE to call 911 because I did not know what to do! (Normally, I just tell them to shake it off, and they will be fine.........this did not look remotely fine to me.) So he left work early. I call 911 and explain to them what happened, and how I was embarrassed to call them over this, but it looked like his pinky was shattered. They assured me that it was okay! LOL!

So now I have 2 police at my house, and we were waiting for the ambulance. He had since calmed down but his finger was starting to swell really bad, and the gashes on both sides of his pinky just looked terrible! My friend Lori came over to watch the kids while I went to the hospital with Austin. My friend Sarah was awesome enough to pick up Brayden and let him have a playdate until we got Donovan later. (Thanks guys! XO)


Now the ambulance gets to us, and we go to the hospital. I have to say that they were so quick, I love St. Luke's hospital, I have always had such great things to say about them. Every experience we had was awesome! Anyway, we get into our room, and we only waited about 1/2 hour before we got into xrays (which he did not have a fun time in! LOL!) Finally Bill met us at the hospital while we were waiting for the results. NOTHING BROKEN!! It's amazing! What's even more amazing is that apparently the bone from the knuckle (mid knuckle) to the tip, there is not a bone on a child that age, it's all soft tissue. so the reason it was so flat was because it was all soft tissue! Amazing! I was soo relieved!! But I've had a constant headache from the beginning of this mess! LOL! Thankfully everything is fine. He is nursing the finger and not using it. Today his finger is like a tye dyed easter egg, all sorts of shades of colors. (my tummy turns everytime I look at it! LOL) But he's in good spirits, and I want to thank everyone for their prayers and thoughts on facebook for him! I really appreciate it! XOXO!!

No comments: