Monday, August 10, 2009

Pensyltucky and Pig Roasts

So this weekend really showed me a whole new world of which I am not use to....

I played at a private party this weekend at this person's house. He had a very strong accent that almost sounded like a cross between German, and English. Really cool to listen to. LOL, so because I love people from other countries, because I love to learn about them, I asked him where he was from. He said "Here, I've lived here all my life". I was amazed. He said he was Pennsylvania Dutch, and that was where the accent was from. I felt so stupid. Here I am, only 40 minutes northeast of where I am living, and it's like a whole other world. I did not even know that such an accent existed!

There were 2 houses set on 60+ acres, and it had the most beautiful view of the mountains, it was unreal. The food was amazing, all handmade goodies, from pickled eggs marinated in beets, to zuchinni bread (which I thought was banana bread~so that is a great trick to feed kids that don't like veggies), There were also a dozen delicious desserts~rhubarb pie, some smores thing that was awesome. Needless to say, I was sick to my tummy~because it's all stuff that I don't normally include in my diet. LOL!

But the most gnarly thing caught my eye! I did not know it was a pig roast (which I've never been to before in my life!) So the guy opens up the grill/smoker thing~and there was A WHOLE PIG in it! OMG, let me tell you, I could not stop staring at this thing.....I think it's mainly because I've never actually seen my food still have a head! LOL! now this does not bother me in any way. I mean, it's survival of the fittest right?!?

Here I was, taking pictures and video of them cutting it, I just could not believe what I was seeing right in front of me! I will show pictures when I upload them (I don't have them now, they are on my phone.)

So the funniest part of this story is at the end of the party, the man hacked off the head, and let me bring it home to the boys! LOL! Yes I am serious! I explained that we've never seen anything like this before, and I thought they'd really enjoy seeing where their food comes from. So he cut off the head, and put it in a box, and told me to eat the cheek meat because it was the best meat on the whole pig. So I bring home my prize, and when I walk through the door with it, The Hunk's face was priceless~He was like "WTF is that?!?!" LOL! Then the kids came over, and they could not stop touching it, and looking at the teeth (yes, the teeth were still in tact.) So after they were done poking and prodding for a bit, we threw him away! I figured it would scare them, but on the contrary they wanted me to have the head mounted so we can put it on the wall! LOL!! Those kids are too funny!

No comments: